Friday, January 6, 2012

Penny-Pinching (Part 1)

I dropped by a local drive-thru yesterday, sans kids, to pick up a treat for myself (special treats on the fly don't happen much when you have a gfcf child in tow), and when I handed the cashier $1.75 for my $1.74 bill, she asked me if I wanted my penny, to which I promptly replied (even though my brain may have stumbled a teensy bit over the question), "Ummm, yeah, I save them."

And then, to my dismay, the girl said, "Okay, thank you" and shut the window. I sat for a moment, internally convincing myself that I was mistaken, and she would be right back with my penny, but in fact I was NOT mistaken, and she did not come back.

Well!

I sat for a minute longer and let my conscience tell me that after all, it was only a penny, and wouldn't I look like a complete moron parking my car and walking inside for a lousy penny? "But," the other side of my head argued, "It is after all YOUR money, and it was awfully presumptuous of that girl to ASK if you wanted it, let alone keep it after you claimed to want it. And where does she get off, anyway, thinking that folks are feeling so rich that they run around rounding their bills up to the nearest quarter, cheerfully shouting, 'No matter; keep the change!' Has the child bothered to open a newspaper or catch the local news in the last two years? We're in an economic downturn here!"

I want my penny.

To be continued . . .

(You can read part 2 here)

No comments:

Post a Comment