Thursday, January 5, 2012

Penny-Pinching, Part 2, or Every Little Bit Helps

(You can read part 1 here)

So.

I went back in the next day.  I'd had all night to think about it (and write a post about it) and I had come to a conclusion.  The folks down at Burger Bell need to re-train their employees to simply hand back change, without asking customers if they want it back.  If the customer says, "No thanks; keep the change," (and I'll address THOSE folks in a moment), then I suppose Burger Bell can keep it.  It's as simple as that.

It turns out that when I spoke to the (very friendly yet very professional) manager of the joint, I had not been the first to complain bring the matter to his attention.  Indeed, there had been so much concern over the "keeping of the change" that there had been what the manager called a "GM Conference" on the situation in Eugene, OR.  They've been instructed to teach their employees NOT to ask if the customer wants their change, but to just hand it back, regardless of the amount.

Amazing.

The manager thanked me for coming in to let him know, and that he would re-train his staff according to company policy.

And I walked away, satisfied.

Now, you folks who would give your pennies away to (I can only assume) avoid dealing with pocket change:
I'd like you to consider something.  Pennies add up. Don't give your pennies away to corporations.  Think about it.  If you took a few moments and dumped your pennies into a jar at the end of the day, at the end of the month, you'd have more than a few bucks to donate to a worthy cause.  If you're going to give your pennies away, shouldn't they go to help others? I can think of a few organizations who deserve them more than Burger Bell:

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
Make A Wish
Faith Fulmer Foundation
Ethan's Army
The Salvation Army
Gospel Rescue Mission
Compassion International

Yeah, I hear you.  They're just pennies.
But every little bit helps!

Save the Pennies!

1 comment:

  1. If the change is like a nickle or penny, I will often put it in whatever charity box is sitting out - march of dimes, ronald mcdonald house (um, NOT united way) - anyways, but if there's no charity box - yeah, why let a corporation keep my change?!

    ReplyDelete